Monthly Update For February 2018
February is the 5th full month that I work on Listen Notes full-time. It was a short month that has only 28 days, but it was a very good month!
First, the website traffic increased a lot. I've got 180k page views this month, which is ~25% more than that in January.
Second, Listen Notes joined the latest batch of a startup accelerator -- Boost VC.
Third, I've got some ad revenue.
1. Further improvement of Listen Later. Added some privacy settings there.
2. Added Hot Podcasts. It's a daily top chart based on user activities, i.e., clicks, listens, listen later, clips, social sharing... Hopefully this can help surface great episodes & podcasts that are NOT from the top 20 publishers.
3. Allowed podcasts to advertise on Listen Notes. I've got 2 paid advertisers now :)
4. Added three more individual Twitter accounts & Facebook pages with curated podcasts.
5. Again, I spent a lot of my engineering time improving the infrastructure, which is extremely critical to this search engine project but is less tangible to end users :(
6. Automatically tagged & transcribed episodes. See this example. It's not 100% accurate -- maybe 50%? But it's better than nothing.
7. Started to work on a new thing to help promote independent podcasts. Stay tuned!
I spent a lot of time dealing with 2017 corp tax. Fortunately, I got it done and survived this tax season! I spent more money on accounting / legal services than what I made last year :(
And Listen Notes has been accepted into the new batch of a startup accelerator called Boost VC. This means, I've got some funding to survive through this year. So, Listen Notes is here to stay.
I'll tell the story how I was connected to Boost VC in the future :)
Database: 451k podcasts; 27 million episodes
Just want to remind us: Google indexed "only" 25 million web pages in early 1998.
Page views: 180k
Unique visitors: 44,818
I wrote one blog post in February: